- This target player drill is set up with one player slightly outside of the 18 yard box, and the other players 10 yards further from the goal.
- Player with the ball passes to the striker, who turns to the right or left with their 1st touch, turning quickly and shooting with their 2nd touch.
- Shooting player should retrieve the ball after the shot, and return to the end of the line.
- Player should turn using the outside of their right/left foot.
- Player should be well balanced, knees slightly bent to allow for a balanced turn.
- Shot should generally be low towards the far post. This is difficult for the goalie, and any rebound is put out directly in front of the goal area.
- Remember, encourage successes!
- Add a passive defender.
- Allow defender to defend normally.
Total time estimated:
- 7-10 minutes for teaching Targeting the defender.