- To work on communication in soccer, number your players 1-8 in a circle.
- Circle 7-10 yards in diameter, and have a ball with #1 player.
- Players ALWAYS pass to the next number to theirs, 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 etc and 8 to 1 so the drill begins very basic.
- You call out 2 numbers, those 2 players must sprint around the outside of the circle (in same direction) and stopping when they reach the opening created by the other number.
- You can add in a mistake or errand pass results in push ups or sit ups, but keep them quick (possibly the number of the player in error).
- Example: Players begin passing, you call out 3 and 7. Players must continue to pass until 3 sprints around ending in the 7 position, and the 7 player in the 3 position. Players keep their numbers, 1-8 but the ball will no longer be in a simple circle, forcing players to call for the ball and communication should start to improve.
- Players CAN slightly delay their run until making a pass if necessary.
- Passes should always be firm to feet.
- Players should always be on their toes ready for the pass.
- Players should call for the ball, AND call out who they are passing to.
- Remember, encourage successes!
- Use 2 balls.
- Limit 1 touch only so they must weight passes and communicate even more.
Total time estimated:
- 5-7 minutes for this soccer communication drill.