- Pass and shoot is set up with 1 line 25 yards out, and 1 player 20 yards out from goal.
- Avoid having more then 4 players in line, so either set up 2 lines to alternate shots more efficiently (not shooting at same time) or have a secondary drill occurring at the same time.
- Player 1 passes to player 2 who is the target player to lay off the pass.
- Player 2 passes back on an angle to player 1 who is running towards the area the pass will be directed towards.
- Player 1 shoots on the 1st touch towards goal.
- Player 2 spins off and circles towards the goal for a rebound.
- Player 1 becomes target player, player 2 retrieves shot ball and returns to line.
- Passes should be firm and accurate.
- Pass to target player should be towards foot on the side where the ball will be laid off (pass to left foot if ball being laid off with left foot for a right footed shot, right foot pass leads to a left footed shot).
- Shots should be on target.
- Shots should be well placed, more accuracy and less power.
- Most often shots should be low towards back post, this is hardest for a goalie and can lead to more rebound opportunities.
- Use 2 lines alternating.
- Add a passive defender to the target player, this should force the passes to the correct foot to increase accuracy.
- Have target player vary the service (chip ball into the air for a volley, pick up ball and softly throw to shooters thigh/chest to bring down with 1 touch and shoot quickly with 2nd touch.
Total time estimated:
- 10 minutes for this pass and shoot drill.