- Players converge towards cone in the middle of a 20 x 20 diamond.
- 1st player in each of the 4 lines should start with a ball at their feet.
- As with every drill, demonstrate how you wish the drill to be done.
- 1st player in each line dribbles towards the central cone.
- Once they converge a yard or so from the middle cone, all 4 players perform the same foot skill, and all turn in the same direction.
- Players dribble quickly to the next line and lay ball off to the awaiting player.
- Next 4 players go, and drill proceeds.
- Example: 4 players dribble to center, perform a step over move and speed up to the line to the right. Next 4 players dribble to center, perform a step over, and speed up to the line to the right.
- Have players get as close (within reason) to the center as possible so they feel the pressure of the other players near them.
- The foot skill of focus should be done at high quality; if need be have players dribble slower to allow for better success and then increase as they get comfortable.
- Players should accelerate after the skill as if they just took on a defender.
- Change direction so both feet get worked on.
- Remember, encourage successes!
- Change the skill, step over, toe turn, cut, chop, or any other move/turn can be applied to this drill.
- You stand in the middle and the players get as close as they can, having a body there versus a cone adds more presence of a "real" defender.
- Increase the pace, the quicker the dribble/skill the more difficult.
Total time estimated:
- 10 -12 minutes for this soccer converge drill.